Managing the impact your workplace has on the environment
Managing the impact your workplace has on the environment is vitally important, to your staff, your business, those you do business with and to society as a whole. The sustainability of our planet is dependent upon each and every individual taking small steps to reduce their carbon footprint. For businesses there is often a lot that can be changed with very little effort which can result in energy efficiency all round the workplace. This often represents a surprising cost saving benefit to workplaces so any financial outlay is usually recouped very quickly.
Over 40% of the U.K.’s Carbon Dioxide emissions (greenhouse gas) come from the energy we consume every day at work and home and when we travel.
Developing and implementing greener systems, energy reducing strategies and recycling practices helps businesses manage their environmental aspects i.e. energy, waste, carbon, water and so on. In doing so companies can set targets to monitor and review progress in these areas, identifying achievements and the financial benefits and setting company policy to embed and sustain these. In many cases making the changes will enable businesses to comply with any legislation that may be relevant to the type of waste they produce.
Making the changes to become much greener as a company allows your stakeholders and communities to see that you are taking your responsibility towards the environment seriously.
Why encourage greener policies and practice at work?
For those with a keen interest in recycling and adapting their lifestyles to reduce their carbon footprint the workplace provides the ideal setting to expand good practice and to embrace a much greener life cycle as a whole.
The reverse may also be true in that staff that do not currently recycle or make energy savings in the home may be incentivised to implement what they learn at work in their homes and within their families.
Travelling to and from work, travelling for work – vans, fleet cars etc, and being in the workplace has a major impact on energy consumption and emissions and even the smallest changes can have a huge positive effect.
Benefits to employers
- Satisfaction of making changes towards saving the planet
- Opportunity to adopt waste management systems
- Changes are often cost neutral
- Changes often reduce the costs of production
- Changes often improve the effectiveness of production
- Demonstrates your commitment towards Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Improved company image with your customers and competition
- Contributes towards achievement of ISO 14001
- May help with recruitment and retention
Benefits to employees
- Satisfaction of making contribution towards saving the planet
- Opportunity to wholly embrace a more holistic greener lifestyle
- Opportunity to learn about the impact of work on the environment
- Learn to make changes that can save money on home fuel bills
- Better working environment
- May choose to work for a green employer